Thursday, May 28, 2009

Fainting Couches

Has anyone heard of "Fainting Couches" ? I found some cute ones online and I knew there had to be some meaning in the name. fainting couch is a backless couch with typically one end raised to recline upon. Though couches like this might have been made prior to the 19th century, the fainting couch wasn’t commonly referred to as such until the 19th century. The fainting couch was made for women, especially since so many women in the 1800s wore corsets. Corsets kept a woman breathless, making it much more likely she would faint. Some homes, and hotels even had fainting rooms, where women could catch their breath on a fainting couch.
Here are a few! I want a velvet one! I love the story behind it ;)


4 comments:

LF said...

these couches are ultra lovely! great selection!


hello from Hippie Frou Frou!!!


jess s///

Elizabette said...

They look perfect for me to sprawl on when watching my favorite shows!

PinkBow said...

these are so lovely, i have one in my bedroom which is similar but doesn't have the back in it

Anonymous said...

I am regular visitor, how are you everybody? This article
posted at this web site is genuinely fastidious.


My page ... hip to waist ratio calculator